The Bible says:
Galatians 3:12 “And the law is not of faith:”
Are faith and the law complementary to each other or are they competitors? The Bible says the law is not of faith.
The law was a stop-gap measure till faith came. After faith came, all the purposes the law served were transferred to faith.
Consider the below points:
- The law was the wisdom of men in the old covenant (Deuteronomy 4:6). In the new covenant, Jesus is our wisdom (1 Corinthians 1:30)
- The law was the life of men in the old covenant (Leviticus 18:5, Nehemiah 9:29, Romans 10:5, Galatians 3:12). In the new covenant, Jesus is our life (John 14:6, Colossians 3:4, Romans 1:17)
- The law was the truth of men in the old covenant (Psalm 119:142). In the new covenant, Jesus is our truth (John 14:6)
- The law was the righteousness of men in the old covenant (Deuteronomy 4:8, Psalm 119:172). In the new covenant, Jesus is our righteousness (Jeremiah 23:5, 6, Romans 3:21, 22, 1 Corinthians 1:30, Galatians 2:21; 3:21, Philippians 3:9)
- The law was given to the Israelites on the day of Pentecost. The Passover was on the 14th day of the first month (Exodus 12:18, Leviticus 23:5). On the 3rd day of the third month, the law was given to Israel at Sinai (Exodus 19:1, 11, 16, 18, 20). Fast forward to the New Testament and we see The Lord giving Himself to His disciples on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1-21). Either this is an uncanny coincidence or purely by God’s design to show that the law which was holding forte for the reality (Christ) had now accomplished its purpose and it was now time to let the reality reign in its place.
Apostle Paul spoke of this when he said:
Galatians 3:18, 19, 23-26, “18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, TILL THE SEED SHOULD COME to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
23 BUT BEFORE FAITH CAME, WE WERE KEPT UNDER THE LAW, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster TO BRING US UNTO CHRIST, that we might be justified by faith.
25 BUT after that faith is come, WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER A SCHOOLMASTER.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.”
Galatians 3:9-12, “9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12 And THE LAW IS NOT OF FAITH: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.”